“100 Days of Dance is an international grassroots campaign led by Kirstie Alley to promote an active lifestyle for all.” – From www.100daysofdance.com
When I first heard about 100 Days of Dance I immediately got excited. I LOVE to dance and I thought, “What a great idea to use dance to promote an active lifestyle and help me get into shape.” This dance challenge was intended to be started on January 1st of this year. To join the challenge, you simply sign up with your email address and commit to dancing everyday for at least 30 minutes for 100 consecutive days.
Well, I must admit. I have NOT danced every single day. BUT, I have been a lot more active in the first 65 days of this year because of the dancing I have done for this challenge, and that makes me feel good about my progress. Although I have not followed the plan perfectly, and I’m sharing it “late” based on the intended start date, this challenge has had a positive influence on my life and I felt the need to share.
I absolutely love making life as fun as possible, and when you can add fun to the things you have to do it makes a world of difference. I heard Kirstie Alley say in an interview that the idea to challenge people to dance at least 30 minutes a day was based on the doctors’ recommendation to do some form of exercise or physical activity for 30 minutes a day to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Why not make that physical activity something you actually want to do! I love it.
Who doesn’t love to dance? Dancing and music just makes you feel good! It’s the perfect way to bring joy and happiness into your otherwise normal day. Although I haven’t been able to keep up with it everyday, I have been thoroughly enjoying it and constantly returning to it because I love it so much.
I start my day with my dancing before I do anything else, so it sets the tone for my day and gets me off to a great start in a great mood. I put on my favorite upbeat, feel good music and let my body move to the music. Now, I will add in some exercise moves, especially on the faster songs, to make sure I’m getting a good workout in. But for the most part, I am having a blast, shaking my tail feather and turning my bedroom into a dance floor. 🙂
Another reason I love my dancing is because of the specific songs I choose. If you are familiar with my Songs of the Week, you know some of my favorite feel good and uplifting songs. I love songs with positive messages that lift your spirits and make you feel good about yourself, your life, and where you are going. I think it’s important to plug into that type of inspiration on a regular basis to keep yourself pumped about life and in a positive mindset. So to couple that with high energy, fun, feel good movement creates a powerful combination of positive and productive energy that I have flowing in, around and through me every time I do it. You can’t beat that!
Because this is so beneficial for me on so many levels, I have noticed resistance to it. It is normal for the mind and body to fight any change, especially if it’s good for you. So I’ve had to fight through that, which has caused me not to keep up with the consecutive days.
But I honestly don’t feel bad about missing days and being off schedule. I intend to make this a lifestyle because I love it so much, and I encourage you to do the same. Whether this is day 65 of the 100 days or not, incorporating dancing to your favorite music into your everyday life is something that will light you up from the inside out, and that is something I support all year round.
My Dance Mix
Here is a list of some of the songs I currently dance to on a regular basis.
- “God In Me” by Mary Mary – This is usually my warm up song and starts me out with the reminder of the God in me. 🙂
- “Expect The Great” by Jonathan Nelson – High energy and great message to keep me focused and kick things in high gear.
- “I Choose” by India.Arie – I love hearing this song as I dance and exercise in the mirror, reminding myself that what I’m doing in that moment is my choice to be the best that I can be.
- “There’s Hope” by India.Arie – It’s always great to hear a message of hope and keep a positive perspective of life, while grooving to good music in the process.
- “Victory” by Tye Tribbett – One of my favorite upbeat, high energy songs that ensures my victory over any struggle and makes me move my hips like I’m in the club lol.
- “Love On Top” by Beyonce – This song makes me sing and dance so hard that you would think I was trying out for American Idol!
- “End of Time” by Beyonce – This is MY SONG. You can’t tell me I’m not starring in my own personal music video when I’m dancing to this one. It really brings out my inner choreographer! lol
- “So In Love” by Jill Scott – This song brings the funk to the party. My shoulders and feet get to moving like I think I know a little something about back in the day.
- “Golden” by Jill Scott – My anthem! Living my life like it’s golden and dancing along the way!
- “Blessed” by Jill Scott – I usually end my workout with this one, it’s a great cool down song and reminder that I’m so blessed! 🙂
I plan to add these songs soon:
- “I Am Not Forgotten” by Israel Houghton – I love the upbeat/high energy feeling and inspirational words of this song
- “Run The World (Girls)” by Beyonce – Gotta get my empowering groove on with this one!
- “Party Rock Anthem” by LMFAO – This song is just so much fun! I need to learn how to do that shuffle and just let loose and have a great time!
I plan on adding many more of my favorite feel good songs to enhance my dancing fun!
Share your thoughts in the comments: What are some of your favorite feel good/dance songs? How do you feel about dancing for exercise? What are some song suggestions you have for me to add to my list?
Peace, Love & DANCE!